There’s a new low-cost insurance alternative in town, and if our clients’ reaction is any indication, it’s only going to get more popular. It’s called Direct Primary Care (DPC), and it’s designed to make routine or preventive medical care more affordable and accessible than ever. But it gets better: pairing DPC with a Health Sharing Plan can multiply those benefits, while still being less expensive than some insurance plans.
What is Direct Primary Care (DPC)?
Direct Primary Care, or DPC, is a form of healthcare in which Direct Primary Care Physicians charge a flat monthly fee in exchange for health services. DPC is popular because of its simplistic pay structure and its affordability compared to traditional insurance.
- Ease of use – Say goodbye to complicated fee structures for care from your doctor. The Direct Primary Care option allows you to make your monthly payment and see the doctor as-needed — with no pop-up surprise fees at the end!
- Improved patient care – DPC also allows patients to spend more time with their doctors. This fosters a closer doctor-patient relationship which has been shown to increase performance among medical professionals.
- Affordable options – DPC memberships are typically less than $100 per month, with new options becoming available all the time.
- Limitations – A DPC plan can cover routine care and preventive services, but it does not cover things like surgery or skilled care. If you develop a serious illness or have an accident, your DPC plan will not cover hospital costs.
Where Can I Find A DPC Practice?
Use the map below to find a DPC practice in your area. Note that some may not be accepting new patients at this time.
The drop pins that are Blue are DPC offices with whom we have a personal relationship, and that are currently accepting new patients. (Attention doctors and patients: if you do not see your DPC clinic on the map, please click here to add your clinic.)
What is Health Sharing?
Health share plans are a low-cost alternative to traditional health insurance. They provide financial protection from serious medical costs, like an unexpected trip to the hospital or a severe illness.
- Affordable healthcare – With health sharing plans, members pay a monthly contribution–or “share”–towards the health expenses of other members. Then, when members incur qualified medical expenses, they can be reimbursed from this same collective pool.
- Flexible options – Health sharing is available in both faith-based and non-religious forms.
- Limitations – Most health sharing plans have limitations on how often you can see your Direct Primary Care Physician. There is also no requirement for health sharing plans to offer essential preventive healthcare, as there is with ACA insurance plans.
Compare Pricing on the Best Healthshare Plans Available
The Solution: Direct Primary Care + Health Sharing
Remember, Direct Primary Care allows members to spend as much time with their doctor as they need. From preventive care to routine health tests, DPC arrangements cover everything you need to stay healthy.
Meanwhile, Healthshare Plans offer low-cost protection for everything that DPC doesn’t. This includes emergency room visits, surgeries, and sudden illnesses.
By combining a DPC membership with a Health Sharing Plan, it’s possible to stay protected against both routine and emergency medical costs. When you factor in the low-cost nature of both of these plans, you’re looking at a healthcare option that is still more affordable than some insurance plans.
It’s important to note that not all Health Sharing plans are designed to work with DPC. In order to get the best value out of this combination, you’ll need a DPC-friendly health share plan. These slimmed-down health share plans are more affordable because they don’t share expenses for the things included in your DPC.
Still have questions about Direct Primary Care or Healthshare Plans? Give us a call. We’ve got all the information on the best health share plans from groups like Zion, Sedera, Covenant, and more. We can help you figure out which one to go with, all without charging you a dime.
Remember: at HSA for America, our #1 goal is to save our clients money. Reach out to us at 800-913-0172 when you’re ready to get to work.
Here are some additional articles on healthsharing programs: Best Healthshare Plans Comparison Guide 2023 | John Oliver on Health Sharing Ministries – What He Got Right, What He Got Wrong
Here are some additional pages related to this article: Healthshare Plan Information | How Smart Consumers are Opting Out of Obamacare and Slashing Their Costs by Joining Healthshare Programs
Wiley is President of HSA for America. He believes that consumers should have choice and price transparency, so they can make the best healthcare decisions for their needs. Read more about Wiley on his Bio page.